This week is quite a week of milestones for me. If you remember from my last post (see it HERE), LC’s Closet turned two on Tuesday. Today also marks another big milestone… on this very day (November 28th) last year, I submitted my Ph.D.!!!! After almost four years of blood, sweat and (ALOT of) tears, I had finally done what I had been working towards for so long. If I’m being honest, I don’t think I ever thought the day would actually come, particularly in the final stages when my mental submission date (of November 28th) was fast approaching. I was technically finished but I couldn’t see it, and that was probably because I was stressed out of my mind and hadn’t slept properly in months (I don’t think I slept at all this week last year).
I probably made my life a little bit harder than it needed to be. I used two different types of methodology and my thesis was almost double the size of a regular Ph.D. But I didn’t want to settle. I had dedicated four of the best years of my life to doing this, sacrificed so many things I have always wanted to do and I was gonna make damn sure I was proud of the work I submitted! Was it easy? Hell no! It was damn hard and honestly, looking back I really don’t know how I did it. A few things definitely helped me survive possibly the most mentally, physically and emotionally challenging thing I will ever do…
- My family – I think this one goes without saying really.
- My friends – especially those who would call or visit me to take my mind off the books.
- Walking and my dogs – I love walking and most days (especially in the last few months) the only time I would leave the house would be to walk my dogs and get fresh air.
- My blog – It was the perfect outlet to unwind and try to take a break from the Ph.D.
- Baking – I started baking in the final year when I really stopped doing anything for myself. I absolutely love it!
- Downton Abbey – In the last 3 months watching Downton Abbey on a Sunday night was the only time I took a break – it kept me sane on a Sunday.
- Chocolate and food – Anytime I got seriously stressed about a deadline or anything in general, the first thing I would do is raid the kitchen. Then when I had fed my stress enough I was in a far better position to deal with it. 🙂
- My supervisor – We didn’t always agree but a Ph.D. is all about the mental challenge (boy did I get a challenge). I really couldn’t have done it without her.
- Tea – Is there anything a good cup of tea can’t make better?
- Pyjamas, sweatpants and hoodies – Not the most fashionable but definitely the most comfy and I lived in these for the last few months.
Over the past few months, as I moved to New York, I have been thinking a lot about how much my life has changed in this past year. It’s crazy to think how different my life is now. This time last year I had absolutely no clue where I would be or what I’d be doing. I knew two things – that I didn’t want to be an academic and I wanted to work away from Ireland. I had a few different locations in my head as to where I could go but ultimately New York won out. It’s always had a piece of my heart and I really can’t wait to see what I’ll be up to this time next year…
Have a great weekend,
Keep in Touch